[dropcap-2]F[/dropcap-2]ood is an everyday resource that our body needs to build energy. However, sometimes people waste loads of food though there are a lot of people in the world who go to bed hungry every night. If we collected the amount of food that is wasted on a yearly basis, there will be no hungry person in the world. Also, just throwing it away and letting it rot is not a good idea as you and your family will end up breathing poison gases that is not good for health. Here are 5 tips that will help you reduce your food waste thus saving you lots of money and making your earth environment friendly.[starlist]
- List it out – It is important for you to list what you and your family will be consuming on a daily basis for a period of 7 days. Before you go all crazy on listing it, check your storage area to ensure you do not double, write food that you already have. Make sure you have the list in hand when you shop. Do not ever stray away from the list. This will only encourage you not to buy things you don’t need. Next thing, you know that you will end up spending unnecessary money.
- Check your fridge – Do thorough check of your fridge. Ensure it is working properly where the fridge seals are all in place and the temperature of the fridge is at an optimum level of below 6 degrees. This temperature will ensure your food last long and stay constantly fresh.
- Recycle your food – People tend to just take items that are about to expire and then they throw them away. They don’t realize that food such as fruits can be used to make fruit drinks, shakes or even pastry savory fruit pies. Vegetable can be used to make stew or soups. However, you need to make sure they are not rotten before consuming them.
- Proper arrangement of food – People who come back from the store tend to just store their items. Make sure you move your old items out front so that they can be used first instead of the new ones.
- Check the amount of food you serve – Serve only a minimal amount of food. Always remember that if people are hungry they will find something else to eat so they can always eat different types of food after their main meal.[/starlist]
Don’t splurge – Only buy items that you need. Don’t buy items that are in bulk such as fruits, vegetable and so much more. Buy them loosely so you don’t end up throwing it unnecessarily.